The exterior is of Medina red sandstone.
The ground plan is cruciform with naves, sanctuary and transept. The nave is divided by magnificent columns of polished granite with richly carved stone capitals.
The dimensions of the Church are:
- Exterior length, 234 feet
- Exterior width, 134 feet
- Height from ground to ridge of roof, 105 feet
- Length of transept, 120 feet
- Nave is 42 feet wide and 75 feet high in the clear
- Side aisles are 19 feet wide and 36 feet height with clear height at the intersection of the nave and transept, 76 feet
The vaulted ceiling is richly groined with ribbing having bosses of foliage of various designs at their intersection.
The principal front on Main St. is designed on grand proportions.
The chief tower which is without doubt one of the most artistic and elegant in the country, rises to a height of 245 feet.
There are 2 side towers each 128 feet high.
Of special interest on the exterior is the massive Seth Thomas (Tower) Clock. It was the gift of Hon. Elbridge G. Spaulding, the "Father of the Greenback," who resided directly across from the Church on Main Street.
With 275 pews, the seating capacity is 1,900 however 2,000 persons can be accommodated.
Among the beautiful interior furnishings includes the splendid Kimball Organ acquired under Rev. Dr. Paul Hoelscher's pastorate in 1903 and the ornately carved pulpit with its relief of the four evangelists and statues of the doctors of the Church.
Beside the statues of Saint Anthony and Saint Francis (each carved from a single block of wood) is the marble Baptistery enclosed with ornate icon work.
The altars of Saint Joseph and Seven Dolors, the communion rail of Australian marble and the High Altar, a gift from Miss Emma Lang in 1898 were made by the Lautz Marble Works.
The Sacred Heart Altar was the gift of Gerhard Lang, and the Altar of the Blessed Mother a gift of Chas. And Suzanne Lautz.
Of special interest in the High Altar is the life-size statue of St. Louis surmounted in a niche above a beautiful ebony cross with the likeness of our crucified Lord in ivory.
On either side of the Tabernacle are two large mosaics. The one on the left represents Abraham about to sacrifice his son Isaac and the other on the right represents the offerings of Melchizedek.
St. Louis School
In addition to serving the WNY area with the Holy Sacraments, countless Buffalonians owe their primary education to St. Louis Church's school. As early as the 1830's a school was established at St. Louis as the parochial school in WNY. In 1850 the school building (directly behind the Church) was erected.
At its closing in 1959 it was the oldest educational institution continuously in existence in New York State. It was declared a hazard and torn down in 1986.